We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft rang to warn about system crash? Scam surely?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, a friend has just yold me that, apparently, Microsoft rang him last week to say his 'system is about to crash'! He hung up on them but still thinks it was genuine as they had his number, address, name etc! I've told him it was a scam but he is still insisting on wiping his system this weekend! Any thoughts please?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Of course its a scam!!!!

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

ha ha, yes i know that but id like to know how they were able to know his details?

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Heard of the Electoral Roll?And even the phone book etc,etc.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thanks for the sarcy reply- yes of course i've heard of it! I suppose i should change my question to is it a common scam?

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Yes..It is fairly common. There have been postings here previously on the subject.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Seven people from my (small) village have called me recently to ask if it was a genuine call! May be they swamp numbers on a local exchange one at a time.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

It's very common. I had one a couple of weeks ago and, when I asked him what Microsoft had to do with Linux, he surprisingly hung up!

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

Had quite a few of these. I just get very personal about their parentage and hang up.

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

hi, another friend recently had a box pop up in the bottom left hand of the screen stating that his 'Computer needs updating'+when he clicked it it requested payment. Please may i ask is this a common one+is it malware?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Yes to both

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia