We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Free Space on C Move File to D Drive

Ex plorer
Resolved

Likes # 0

G Morning all I need to free up space on C drive its only got 8Gig on it.

The largest item I can move to D Drive are photos 29 Gig of them.

Can I just drag and drop the whole folder onto D or is there another way.

Laptop Vaio VGN-FE21M OS XP. Only one HD drive devided into C & D. 160GB Total

Not my Laptop so don't want to mess things up. To access the photos would you have to go to computer then DC D Drive and open photos from there.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Yes, you can drag & drop the pics from C drive to D drive. However, if they're in "My Pictures", which is a special Windows folder, you should create a new folder in D drive and copy the contents of My Pictures into it, leaving the special Windows folder where it is. Once satisfied that all pics have been safely copied into D drive, you can then delete them from their location in C drive.

What you can then do is to create a new shortcut on the Desktop to go directly to the D drive folder with the pics.

Like this post  
marvin42

Likes # 0

I would also get an external drive and backup to that. If the laptop HDD goes wrong you've lost the lot if they are only on C or D.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Thank you both for the replies. mgmcc you are right they are in My Pics Folder. I never relised it was special Windows folder, so I will create a new one and transfer them first. marvin42 I can back them up on my own external drive for safty.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

No need to create new folder. Right click on My Pictures and you can 'Move' the folder to a new location on D: Windows will then automatically direct any future saved files to that new location. If you just create the new folder then the programs that use My Pictures as their destination save will still put them in the folder on C:

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added