We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unidentified device

Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I think I used to know the answer to this, but I'm damned if I can remember it. Typically, in Device Manager, if you've got a yellow exclamation mark, there's a driver problem. But if the exclamation mark is against an 'unknown' or 'unidentified' device - how on earth do you go about loading the driver for it? Of course, most of the time, it's very apparent which device is 'broken' because something on your PC isn't working - but supposing your PC appears to have all its functionality - what then? The PC in question is my wife's Acer Aspire 9300 laptop - and it's bugging the hell out of me, even though it seems to be doing what it should.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I wonder if it could be something which you have unplugged and no longer use, like a USB drive for example.

I have to admit that my inate sense of cowardice would come to the fore in this case. If it's working as it should, then leave well alone!!

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks ams. I don't think it's a device that's been unplugged. You're right, of course, about letting sleeping dogs lie/not fixing what ain't broke - but the pedant in me wants to know what it is and why it shows as an error.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Uninstall and reboot see if windows re-finds it.

It may be reinstalled properly.

You could use something like SIW hereuse the free version, to find all equipment on your machine.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/. I'll try both your suggestions.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Has the machine got a card reader? If it has then that is possibly the problem.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

No, ams, it hasn't - but thanks for the suggestion.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've found that the free Slimdriver will sometimes identify such a device and offer a driver for it. slimdriver link

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Perhaps you could work it out by listing what you have got identified and recognised in Device Manager or SIW and then see what else you have got connected (by actually look at the kit, not via Device Manager)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features