We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I use System File Checker with upgrade W7 disk/

Pineman100
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've had all kinds of backup problems with my Windows 7 Home Premium laptop (see this thread if you're really interested!)

I want to run the System File Checker to try and get the W7 backup system working properly again. I've never used this function before, so I'd be very grateful for some guidance before I do:-

1. My W7 disk is an upgrade. I bought the HP laptop with Vista installed and got the free W7 upgrade from HP a few months afterwards. I believe that SFC repairs broken system files by copying "clean" ones from the Windows disk - will it work OK with an upgrade disk? (It's all kosher and official).
  2. I believe that the syntax for running SFC at a command prompt is sfc /scannow (space after sfc). Is that correct? Do I have to add any switches to get broken files repaired?
  3. I presume that running SFC presents no threat to my data or instaled applications. Is that correct?

I'll be very grateful for any advice.

Like this post
ACOLYTE

Likes # 0

I dont see why it shouldnt work,anyway here is a link link text

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks very much Acolyte. That's a very helpful link.

Has anyone had personal experience of running SFC from an upgrade disk?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

in windows 7 you run it from cmd you do not need a windows disc any more. so much easier in w7.

Like this post  
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Hi sunnystaines - many thanks. That's great news!

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

OK, SFC job done. As sunnystaines said, no system disk was required.

To my surprise, the process found no repairs to be necessary.

Many thanks to everyone for your help with this.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features