We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Destination Folder Access Denied

Dirty Dick

Likes # 0

I am trying to transfer an Excel Document from my Laptop to my Desktop, but I am getting a message saying “Destination Folder Access Denied” and also “You need permission to perform this action”

On my laptop I am the only user, and also on the Desktop.

I have previously set up a folder in the Network so I could just drag & drop folders and files across.

However when I try now I get the above message.

I have even tried e-mailing the file from one PC to the other, but still no joy. I am running Windows 7 Enterprise on the Desktop & Windows 7 Home Premium on my Laptop.

Any suggestions please?

Many thanx

DD

Like this post
Dirty Dick

Likes # 0

Sorry, forgot to mention ...........

My User account is set as an administrator

Like this post
ACOLYTE

Likes # 0

I had same problem some time back,it seems this is an inbuild security thing they added to win7,imo its a stupid thing,but anyway the only way around it is to save it in another place like My Documents or the desktop,then trying to copy paste the file,if that fails delete the old one or rename it and copy the new one,its not ideal but its the only way i have found to get round it.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Take Ownership in windows 7

1. Locate the file or folder on which you want to take ownership in windows explorer

1. Right click on file or folder and select “Properties” from Context Menu

2. Click on Security tab

3. Click on “Advance”

4. Now click on Owner tab in Advance Security Settings for User windows

5. Click on Edit Button and select user from given Change Owner to list if user or group is not in given list then click on other users or groups. Enter name of user/group and click ok.

6. Now select User/group and click apply and ok. (Check “Replace owner on sub containers and objects” if you have files and folder within selected folder)

7. Click OK when Windows Security Prompt is displayed

Window Security Prompt

1. Now Owner name must have changed.

2. Now click OK to exist from Properties windows

Once you have taken the ownership of file or folder next part comes is Granting Permissions to that file/folder or object.

How to Grant Permissions in Windows 7

1. Locate the file or folder on which you want to take ownership in windows explorer

2. Right click on file or folder and select “Properties” from Context Menu

3. Click on Edit button in Properties windows Click ok to confirm UAC elevation request.

4. Select user/group from permission windows or click add to add other user or group.

5. Now under Permission section check the rights which you want to grant i.e check “Full Control” under the “Allow” column to assign full access rights control permissions to Administrators group.

6. Click OK for changes to take effect and click OK final OK to exit from Properties window.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen