We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PhotoShop Elements 9 difficult to start

naviator

Likes # 0

I bought Elements 9 and registered it some time ago. Initially no problem. Suddenly however for no apparent reason when I select it now I get the message 'Elements 9 has encountered a problem and must close...Send error message.' Repeated attempts only produce this message. Restarting the computer occasionally results in a successful download. Otherwise I have to shutdown completely and restart. That often doesn't work either. My system is Windows XP home edition. No downloads have been made from the WWW recently, and anti-virus systems are all working. Nothing has been detected. If anyone has encountered a similar problem with this programme I would be interested to hear more.

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

Uninstall Photoshop Elements, run CCleaner - when asked to bakc up the register, do so - shut down computer. Reinstall Photoshop Elements and you should be able to download all the latest updates.

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

If you do this recover your licence first

Help\Deactivate

You will then be able to reactivate after reinstalling.

Like this post
naviator

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your replies. I was a bit wary before I posted my original query - the programme disc wouldn't do anything. A repair option might, as with other discs, have shown itself. - and then seeing your advice I thought 'Dammit! Do it. It's registered and legal.'

After removing it and shutting down completely I reinstalled after restarting and switching on the Internet connection. The result then was entirely satisfactory and it works far better than it ever did before. To date there are no problems starting the thing either. Original problem completely resolved plus a lot of other things as well. I think I must have made a serious error when originally installing it. Again, thank you!

Like this post
naviator

Likes # 0

In my last I stated "To date there have been no problems.". Now though the same problem has started all over again. Photoshop 9 more often than not will not start up but produces the same '...has a problem...' message. I am about to shut down prior to reinstating it again and will post the result in about a week's time when things may have settled down. In the meantime if anyone has any alternative suggestions I would like to know them.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have found Adobe Technical Support very helpful on the telephone when I had issues with PS CS5. (Number with disc)

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Photoshop Elements 9 is a newish programme while Windows XP is an old OS. Right click the Elements.exe file and run in XP Compatability mode.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK