We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Just My view

woodchip
Resolved

Likes # 0

Looks to me like PCA is going same way as banks etc, but help seems to have gone down the drain not as many helpers also problems have become not just PC but an abundance of questions on other subjects, I am guilty of posting some as a last resort. Is it me or as any one else seen what's happening? this includes answers from FE

Like this post
Devil Fish

Likes # 0

could be that quite a few contributors are in the same boat as me when i was working in IT, had access pretty much 24/7 since lay off have been working in an enviroment with considerably less access to IT (bills have to be paid) hence not being able to spend as much time online and reply to posts

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I think the recent revamp was a step change, and the glitches took some time to sort out, too long perhaps for some.

I was within a week or so of giving up, when I decided that the various fixes had done enough for me to carry on.

Perhaps others have decided differently.

The other thing is that the forums now look like so many others.

One of the attractive things about the old site was it was different.

Now with all the popularist bells and whistles added there is nothing to make it stand out.

Obviously the infomation is commercially sensitive but I would love to see a graph of forum traffic over the last six months.

Another factor which may have some relevance is that while the situation has now changed there was a period where one or two members were taking over and dominating far too many threads (says he with a post to nearly all of them!), and this did become quite boring, which may have put people off, particularly newcomers.

Certainly for me the forums are no longer attract my interest as much as they did.

As woodchip says, just my view.

(as an example, when trying to post this, the all too frequent "Please cancel and copy" message came up. It really is time this was cleared up)

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

I've found it incresingly frustrating, waiting for pages to load, and links taking a long time to work.

I've not "gone away"... just not here as much as a result.

Note that I'm not complaining... just explaining!

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I agree there has been a reduction of both helpers and questions, in fact I haven't been as active recently a I used to be. It may just be part of a natural cycle, and I think Algerian peter has a point in that newer versions of Windows 7 in particular is less likely to throw up errors or problems.

Like this post  
southhead

Likes # 0

I’ve had a shortcut to this site on my desktop for almost seven years, and until recently it was one of the sites I checked at least daily. However, like others in this thread I’ve found that it’s not as interesting as it once was, and only occasionally visit now.

It’s such a shame as I’ve learnt so much over the years just reading the answers from the ‘experts’, and on the very odd occasion, being able to help.

Something definitely changed for me when the format was altered. In theory it shouldn’t have, but it did.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Sorry to say it's one of those places I cannot stay away from. As being 75 and not a lot to do or can do being disabled also, Helping where I can keeps me brain active and going, though I never claim to be a good speller, or very good grammatically, I leave that to Pen pushers I was brought up to use my Hands doing Manual Work, and would not change that one bit. I thank all for responses to the thread and will leave it open for a while as I think that a thread like this gives everybody a chance to air there views.

PS I do get problems a bit with this Laptop Keyboard not always putting the letter on the page even though I press it, so that makes spelling look worse and Bifocals do not help looking at keyboard where I may press Y for T and T for Y things like that, plus my thinking gets ahead of my typing. So letters come out a Jumble. And if I do not Read what I typed then its a mess

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Its like anything else News Print or what have you, and as the old saying goes a New Brush Sweeps Clean. But members can be slow to build but quickly lost

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

There are also people posting who get an answer and never bother to respond and leave the thread open. There is no way of knowing if the problem has been solved or not notwithstanding the lack of courtesy involved.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I suspected such a situation may arise with the changes made to this site. At the time, with all the unresolved problems introduced as a failure to adequately trial the new format, there were a number of regular posters who said their willingness to continue with all the problems was being tried; it is possible that at least some of these have moved to pastures new.

If it were not for the fact that I feel I owe the dedicated members who have helped me in the past such a debt (you could say its a guilt trip) I may well have cancelled my subscription and gone as well.

I guess we are simply seeing the cost of progress and modernisation.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

It is comforting to believe that former frequent posters have voluntarily abandoned the site for some reason. Although I feel that the site was not broken before the update, I don't believe that it is now in such a state as to have precipitated a mass exodus. I fear that, given the demographics of forum members, one has to conclude that some are unable to participate, possibly fot the ultimate reason. I am always relieved to see names appear because it is an indication of their continued well-being. Shortly after the update to the site it was profoundly disturbing to encounter a name not seen for a long time only to realise that the thread was several years old. (Once the thread was open, I was interested in the content and did not immediately look at the date). With the date of the OP now included in the index of threads, I am spared the emotional lift and rapid let-down.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK