We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't restore backup "image" files.

mgmcc

Likes # 0

This is a strange one. I have an Acer Revo "Net-Top", originally Linux but I installed XP in it.

I have always been able to restore Acronis True Image backups until a few days ago. I was trying Macrium Reflect and tested restoring a backup which didn't work. I then tried Acronis as usual and that also failed, it just hung. I'm booting from the "bootable recovery media" (SD card for Acronis, CD for Macrium.)

I removed the existing partition and then clean installed XP SP3 to see if I could restore my Acronis backup, but it still just hangs. I'm at a loss to know what has changed to prevent either Acronis or Macrium from being able to restore a backup. It's almost as if the hard drive is somehow locked, although both programs do find it and the XP CD can reinstall Windows.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It seems that all was well until Macrium was installed. Possible conflict?

Have you tried uninstalling Macrium (using Revo) and then seeing whether Acronis works?

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

Use one of the many zero fill drive utilities available for download to reset the drive to the way it came out the box initialise it then restore the acronis image

I must admit I never had any luck trying to restore with the Macrium utility , but usually if you can mount the Acronis image and browse it you will not have any problems restoring it

Cheers HC

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies. I ran the Acronis Disk Cleanser on the "Bootable Recovery Media", which does a single pass zero fill but that hasn't made any difference. Worse still, I think Macrium has also messed up my Win 7 Desktop and Laptop. Just tried creating and restoring an Acronis backup in the Desktop and it won't restore either.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

System restore to before the macrium install?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"System restore to before the macrium install?"

In the Acer-Revo, there is now no operating system installed. If the drive is now "as new", it should be possible to restore the Acronis image into the clean drive, but it doesn't work.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Sorry I was thinking about the desktop and laptop.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today