We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

using windows 7 disk managment

acein1

Likes # 0

hi,i got a new p/c "win 7", the hardrive is partitioned approx 50/50.main drive "c" and "d" using windows 7 own partition tool, i want to delete "d" and expand "c", strong textmy problem is the option to expand my "c" drive is grayed out, can anyone please tell me , if i delete my "d" drive will the option to expand my "c" drive be available, thanks the drive is 500gb split 50/50

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes you can only expand into Unallocated space so delete D:

it will then become unallocated and you can expand C: to fill it.

However it can be wise to separate your data files from your operating system, if you have to do a restore to factory setting only C; will be restored and all you data in D; will remain untouched.

Like this post
Splodge

Likes # 0

If you think to lose your D drive just to give you space, I would forget it!

I have had my older computer for over 8 years and put on over a 1000 songs plus some 50 films as well as all the dross and old programs that have accumulated over the years. I do not delate anthing and my 250Gb still has lots of space.

Leave the decision until you need to do so. The chances are you will get a new computer first.

By the way the old one id a Sony Vaio and I have tinkered with it, opened it up switched drives (I have 4 of 200Gb and 250Gb. many times.

I only do it because "idle hands" kick in!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

By Messing with the Partitions, you may not have no way back if you have problems with the C:\ drive. As there may be a Restore image on the drive, this will not work if you change Partitions

Like this post
acein1

Likes # 0

many thanks to you all for your advice, all taken onboard for some thought cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen