We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fresh Install-Now no 'Search', no Services....what now?

bob dob

Likes # 0

Hi, After a recent fresh install and download of audio drivers i notice that when i go to Start-Search, no Search appears? Just the dog wagging his tail but nowhere to type in any info? Also, when i go to services, none appear, it just seems to hang... Any ideas at all please?

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Anyone?

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Can anyone help me with this problem please?

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Also, when i try to use system restore, the folder just comes up with no detail in it......just like with search!!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Start - run type

sfc /scannow

press OK

let windows scn and find missing / corrupt windows files

you will need the XP CD in the drive.

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Thank you Fruit bat, may i ask why this could happen so soon after a fresh installation?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Probably some files not copied of disk correctly or hard drive corruption.

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Grrrrr......it hasn't worked im afraid!! I left it running, came back and tried it but still no search or system restore.

I did download some drivers from a non-Pacard Bell website and they did not work so maybe a virus?

The reason i suggest this is that the search and system restore options were working fine before!

Please can you show me the way to get to system restore from the boot screen?

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Grrrrr......it hasn't worked im afraid!! I left it running, came back and tried it but still no search or system restore.

I did download some drivers from a non-Pacard Bell website and they did not work so maybe a virus?

The reason i suggest this is that the search and system restore options were working fine before!

Please can you show me the way to get to system restore from the boot screen?

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Ok guys, im really in need of some help as to how to get to a previous restore point but cant get System restore to work. Isn't there a way of getting to a previous restore point before Windows starts up?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have you tried in safemode?

we went through system restore from command prompt and recovery console in one of your other threads on restore an IBM.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia