We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fresh Install-Now no 'Search', no Services....what now?

bob dob

Likes # 0

Hi, After a recent fresh install and download of audio drivers i notice that when i go to Start-Search, no Search appears? Just the dog wagging his tail but nowhere to type in any info? Also, when i go to services, none appear, it just seems to hang... Any ideas at all please?

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Ah, when i press CPU again i find that rthdcpl.exe comes out as a top mem user. This is realtek i believe?

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

GOT IT!!!!!!!!! (I think) I unticked Spybot using msconfig and now when i restart i do not get that message until i try to start spybot!!

I will try reinstalling it (It was a new version of Spybot that i didn't recognise)....I'll keep trying with fingers crossed Fruit Bat.......

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Didn't realise you had installed any programs yet.

What security?

AVAST or MSE as your real time prtection

backed up with SpywareBlaster as a blocker

and Malwarebytes / SuperAntispyware as a backup scanner

ZoneAlarm firewall

All work well together on XP and are light on resources for an older machine.

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Oh i see. Ok, i have Avast, Superantiware, malwarebytes and the original Spybot as opposed to the beta that i had installed previously.

You think zone alarm aswell as the Windows Firewall? And Spywareblaster instead of Spybot maybe?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes scrap Spybot its more trouble than its worth nowadays on XP.

XP firewall is incoming only so if something gets on there and is trying to send data out you never know.

Software firewalls aren't as important as they used to be, provided your using a router with inbuilt firewall, if your modem connects by USB then you definitely need a good firewall

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

I've installed Spyware blaster, does this need to performs scans regularly or is just real time protection?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No its a blocker

Just run it once a week and check for updates - Enable All protection

that's it set,

what it does it put entries into the registry, to block malicious sites so you cannot connect to them, to stop you downloading a script or anything nasty as from the site as it connects.

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Well thank you SO much Fruit Bat, not just for this thread but for the help you have given me on other threads AND the help you have given other people!!

The time and money you must have saved posters on this brilliant forum is immeasurable and i sincerely hope that they/we all fully appreciate it!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features