We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

virus blocking all progs from running

howard64
Resolved

Likes # 0

My daughters pc has got a nasty - a false security warning one - it has broken all prog associations and asks what prog you want to run this. I have run malwarebytes from the admin account which has removed a lot but it still will not allow anything to run. It is an xp pro sp3 pc and I have run the xp disk in the repair mode but am still left with the broken prog associations. Does anyone know the next step or is it a reformat and reinstall?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

The first thing to do is ensure the PC is totally 'clean'.

Have a look at link text or go to Doug's Windows In the left hand column, click WinXP Fixes. Then in the list that comes up, click File Association fixes. Then in the next list that appears, click EXE File Association Fix.

Hope this helps.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What is the security warning?

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

there is now no security warning - whatever prog you try and run either from the normal menu or a usb disk you get a dialogue box asking what prog you want to run this with. The same as if you right click and then on 'open with'. If I click on the other user account it works normally.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

I had a very similar problem...viz:

From my post:
I got rid of the virus (zbot.g) but still had problems accessing some programs so in the end I did an XP install over the existing installation. I still had to reinstall lots of programs which were not working but being able to now access the internet and attach an external HDD made a big differnce. I've taken an Acronis backup and will keep it safe on one of my drives. At least this way if it happens again I'll be able to get back up and running very quickly.

So after securing the data (not strictly required) I used the XP disk to do a reinstall (this does not remove any data, but backup anyway). I still had to reinstall quite a few programs though to get them to work.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

BTW way..I had to run AVG cd, Malwarbytes, superantispyware and emisoft before I got rid of all the infection.

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

thanks all - I believe the pc is now clean'''' I am going to make a new user account and transfer 'my documents' from her old account to the new. If all then works ok I will delete the original account.

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

A tech friend forwarded a fix for the broken registry - I unzipped it and ran it - problem solved. Thanks to All for advice.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...