We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fresh install-now need drivers- Is it this simple?

bob dob
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, i've just done a fresh install of xp, installed sp2 and sp3 and now need to get the sound working. I have installed SIW and it tells me that the computer is a Packard Bell, Product name: imedia 1559, Version: pb34316701, serial number: 119629440309

Is this the info i need to locate the necessary drivers please? (i've never done it before you see)

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

I went to the PB website and chose the options, uk, desktop, imedia...but then the only options were product models beginning with PT, not PB like mine is? What can i do please?

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

You are on the right lines but have some way to go.

It is the drivers for the motherboard which you need to download. So far you have found the maker (assembler) and the model and serial number,so have another search for the motherboard name and number.

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Hi, thank you for that!! Ok, the motherboard name is nec computers internation Model- GA-8TRC410M-NF

Any specific site i should go to?

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Inside the Download Centre page , on the far right mid-page ,click the Link to the old page,that will take you to PB's ftp. download server , log in as a guest and click the Desktop folder and take your picks.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

If you copy your motherboard into Google you will find a lot of possible sites.

Scrolling down through them there is this http://www.dl4all.com/6yn/tag/driver+gigabyte+ga+8trc410m+nf+packard+bell.html

It looks OK but you are now outside my personal experience. You can try this or search under just the mobo name for alternatives.

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Brilliant!! Thank you for that, i'll try it now!!

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Reptep888, im severely confused by all the options availble once i get there. Which ones should i choose as i cant see any NEC drivers?

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

DONE IT!!! Thank you all!!!!

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

What year was the iMedia made? You didn't include much infos of it from the SIW such as what make of mobo ,need to know the chipset so that we can make out what the onboard sound could be.

But I believe you have an Ati chipset so choose the SoundMaxATI.exe for driver only or the SoundMaxATI.Full.exe for all other software as well if you wish.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Glad to hear that you've got it sorted out & please let us know which driver version you've chosen so members can have it as a reference.

If you don't mind I'm asking ,you have a few opening threads running & if you think they have been all answered ,please resolve & green tick them, how to resolve & green tick a thread click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Why BlackBerry isn't dead: Firm keeps Mercedes F1 team driving with enterprise package

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...