We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ubuntu 11.04

Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I have downloaded the image file and burnt to a CD, I want to install to a clean partition (already set up and formatted), however it say's no boot file.I can install it to my C drive alongside windows, but I would like to keep them seperate.

I selected to boot from CD and 'Other options' to install(3rd choice)

Any Sugestions

Terry

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

I'm no expert at this but I have dual booted Vista and Linux Mint on a machine and,if I recall correctly,the Linux installation does create its own partition during installation.

The two operating systems are completely separated from one another,and accessed only by your choice at boot up.

If you choose to boot into Windows and open explorer you cannot see the Linux installation or even the partition on which it installed.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Sorry to say, but your post is unclear.

Do you mean when you go to boot from the CD, it says no boot file?

Or do you mean, you're trying to install it and you get the message?

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

lastchip & cocteaau48

Thanks for replying

I can install into the windows partition with no problem, however I have created a clean formatted (by XP) partition into which I would like to install it.

When you follow the install, it gives 3 options: 1 Install alongside windows 2:Install and replace windows (wipes all files) 3: something else

It is with the something else section that I am trying to install into my clean area, when I get the message that it cannot find the boot file.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Please see if this helps and let me know.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...