We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can i upgrade to sp3 without upgrading to sp2?

bob dob

Likes # 0

Hi, please can someone tell me do i need to install sp2 on an xp os before installing sp3?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

SP3 for XP is not a cumulative update so you will need to install SP2 first.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i recently reinstalled xp and let ms updates do the updating never saw sp2 mentioned just sp3 and loads of small updates

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Yes you can, but you must have SP1.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Apologies, onthelimit1 is of course correct as SP1 is a valid requirement for SP3.

See HERE.

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Thank you all, i'll probably take the safest bet and do sp2 first. (Yes, sp1 was on it already thank you) Can i ask are all service packs for xp the same service packs for xp pro etc?

Like this post
Algerian peter

Likes # 0

bob dob

Yes you can. I recently formated and reinstalled xp1 and microsoft through the updates brought me bang uptodate with SP3.

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Thank you all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert