We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Share a Printer

Border View
Resolved

Likes # 0

Main computer is a desktop OS W7 Home Premium 64 bit. Second computer is a laptop OS XP Home SP3.

My Canon printer is connected to the desktop via USB cable and is not wireless. W7 tells me I have a "Homegroup".

I use a wireless router to connect to the internet. Both machines have a wireless card.

Can anyone please give me step by step instructions on how to link up the laptop to that it too can use the printer. Your help would be appreciated.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

you need to network the two pc's and printer with them all switched on when you run the network wizard in control panel

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS you can share a printer using a Switch box if the PC's are side by side, without networking them

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Homegroup won't work on XP, to share files & printer you need to change some setting on both machines,

click here to read on, hope it helps you.

Like this post  
Border View

Likes # 0

Thanks for that retep888 - that was exactly what I was looking for.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Thanks woodchip - having looked at the instructions suggested by retep888, think I shall just leave as is. Thank you for responding.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As I said if both are XP its a easy job using the networking Wizard, Just make sure both PC's are switched on and the Printer is switched on before running the Wizard, Creat a Disc or use a USB stick to use in the other PC when the Wizard asks you to make one. All you do then is put the Disc in the other PC and double Click on the file it created. You have to have a BB Router to do the above

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Hi woodchip - problem is one is running Win7 and the other XP. The information which retep888 gave a link to is exactly how to link the homegroup and workgroup. My concern is I am just getting my head around Win7 on my new computer and don't want to mess things up.

Perhaps when I get more confidence.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......