We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer 5750 15.6" Intel Core i5 Laptop 6GB RAM 750GB HDD, Blu-ray - good buy?

Tech-help-please

Likes # 0

A shopping channel is selling this laptop on a special offer (for today only) for £600 (plus P&P): Acer 5750 15.6" Intel Core i5 Laptop w/ 6GB RAM 750GB HDD, Blu-ray AVG Security. Is this good value? Is it a good laptop? Here's the technical info:

Technical specifications: Display: 15.6" HD Acer CineCrystal widescreen LCD with LED backlighting (1366 x 768) Processor: Intel Core i5-2410M (2.3GHz; 2.9GHz max turbo frequency; 3MB Smart cache; dual core) Memory: 6GB RAM DDR3 Hard drive: 750GB Optical drive: Blu-ray disc/Super-Multi DL combo drive Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 128MB dedicated system memory supporting Microsoft DirectX 10.1 Card reader: 5-in-1 built in (SD, MMC, MS, MS PRO, xD) Wi-Fi: Acer InviLink Nplify 802.11b/g/n Audio: Dolby Advanced Audio v2 Virtual Surround Sound System Webcam: 1.5MP Battery: six cell li-ion (up to 4.5 hours battery life) Dimensions (h x w x d): 3.3cm x 38.2cm x 25.3cm
Weight: 2.6kg

Input/output: 3 x USB 2.0 1 x HDMI out 1 x VGA 1 x headphone/speaker jack 1 x microphone-in jack 1 x Ethernet (RJ-45) 1 x DC-in jack for AC adaptor

Software: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Adobe Flash Player 10.1 Adobe Reader 9.1 Microsoft Office 2010 pre-loaded (product key purchase required to activate) Microsoft Office Starter 2010 McAfee Internet Security Suite Trial Acer Crystal Eye Microsoft Silverlight Skype Windows Live Essentials AVG Internet Protection software download card - one year's protection for one PC.

Any comments - good or bad?? Thank you!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

Price is about right for the spec compare Amazon Acer i7

Personally I wouldn't touch an Acer, seen so many problems but tyhen again they sell a lot and I only see the ones that won't work for various reasons.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 1

On the other hand, we have a couple of Acer laptops and they've been as reliable as you could wish... :-)

Like this post
Tech-help-please

Likes # 1

Would this be a better buy?... (for £563 on Amazon)

HP Pavilion DV6-6002 15.6 inch Notebook (AMD Phenom Quad core P960 Processor, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium) - Aluminium

Screen Size: 15.6 inches Processor Brand: AMD Processor Type: Phenom Dual-Core Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz RAM Size: 4 GB Computer Memory Type: DDR3 SDRAM Hard Drive Size: 750 GB Operating System: Windows 7 Edition Home Premium Number Of Lithium Ion Cells: 6

It has 4GB RAM (where the Acer has 6). Similar otherwise (I think!!) Is the processor on this HP one good? Is this pretty much like for like but differnt brands & price? HP would be more reliable from what I'm reading online... Anyone??? Thanks a bunch!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 1

I would go for the one you have seen on QVC with 4 easy payments. Excellent Spec. with "extras"

I have to speak as I find - I have 3 Acer laptops in the family and one is almost 8yrs old and none of them have given me any problems. Acer are up there with the "best and the rest" and are one of the leading manufacturers in today's market.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 1

Have an Acer 5920g for 4 yrs and performs w/o any probs. I think they are good laptops and reasonably priced to be competitive.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 1

rickf - "Have an Acer 5920g for 4 yrs and performs w/o any probs."

That's one of the 3 we have in the family - no problems with Acer.

Like this post
tattle tale

Likes # 0

FUTURE SHOP

Customer Rating: 4.0 /5 Construction Quality/Durability: 4.4 Features: 4.2 Aesthetics: 4.6 Ease of Use: 4.6 Value: 4.4 (Based on 18 votes)

Read Customer Reviews (4) Write your review | Rate this product Product Feedback

Acer Aspire 15.6" AMD E-350 Laptop (AS5250-BZ600) - Grey Model #: AS5250-BZ600 WebID: 10171742

Regular Price: $349.99 Discount -$50.00 Sale Price $299.99 Sale Ends:October 20, 2011

SAVE $50 on select printers! See how. SAVE up to $30 on select monitors! See how. Get security software for $49.99! See how. Get Office 2010 starting at $99.99! See how. Get it for less. GuaranteedTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September