We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What Mac software

gav223

Likes # 0

Hi.

I have had my Macbook for around 18 months and although I have had no major issues, I would like to have it running as perfectly as I can.

The only thing that I have done in all this time is install Onyx and run it a few times.

Software called Mackeeper appeared as an advert and I also installed this. After running a scan it stated that my Mac is in a critical state.

I have read other people saying that it has messed up things.

Which are the best things for me to do to clean up my Mac.

Thanks.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Why do you think it needs "cleaning up"

I have owned my two Macs for 2 & 3 years. At my office we have 75+ Macs - none have ever had a problem that necessitated them being cleaned up. They have had a harder life than you will ever give your domestic machine.

I am totally convinced that many many people in the Windows world mess their machines up with too many malware and clean up applications. One of the joys of using a Mac is that such issues very rarely enter a users head.

Like this post
gav223

Likes # 0

Hi bremner.

The only reason is that I have been told that they are not completely secure as most people think.

Also whenever I run the Onyx software it does perform much better.

If your saying that there's no need (and considering that you have the experience) I won't bother.

Thanks.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

I don't have any maintenance programs on any of my Macs other than an antivirus ClamXav which you can download from click here or you can get it free from Apple store.

Macworld forum click here

Mac Forum click here

MacRumour click here

These are favourite Mac forums.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

As with retep888 I only have ClamXav

I would forget anything else.

Like this post
gav223

Likes # 0

Thanks guy's.

I'll just stick with that one then.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer