We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Annoying problem opening avi. wmv. mpeg. jpg. files

grandadpaul2

Likes # 0

Hi When I click on any movie file or image file, Windows media player opens them normally. I am using a Windows 7 32bit Desktop PC BUT when I use my wives Toshiba laptop or my friends Acer laptop (both running Windows 7 64bit) Media player does not open them normally (ie in a full screen)but shows a thumbnail in the taskbar which I then need to click again to open normally.Is this normal in laptops with W7 or is there a way to alter this? I have looked in media player options but can't find a way to set this.I Hope that one of the forum gurus can help. Regards

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

These are my settings. In wmp select organize (top left) and in the drop-down select layout and select menu bar. In the now showing menu bar select View then video size and check the boxes for fit video player on resize and fit video to player. I select 100%. Go for 200% if you need a larger screen then you can maximize if you need.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

grandadpaul

I too am using a 'Windows 7 32bit Desktop PC', unfortunately I haven't got any videos to try. But I do have a plethera of photos. However, when I click on any of them they open full screen. But not in 'Windows Media Player', which incidentally I do have. All my pictures open full screen in 'Windows Photo Viewer'.

I only have one video, a short I took of the neighbours cat. When I click on that it plays in a small window in Windows Media Player on the desktop a couple of inches square. Too big for the task bar.

It's all about how you set it up. I'm in 'Windows Help and Support' now. Under the heading 'Using Windows Media Player: recommended links'. Here we have...

Getting started with Windows Media Player

One of the options in this section is...

Play from the taskbar

I think you'll have to get in here and work out exactly how you want Pics & Vids to play. I hope that's helpfull.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite