We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

F1 which Sky sport?

maltose

Likes # 0

The sad news has just broken that BBC will not provide coverage of all F1s from next year. So this F1 addict must reluctantly join Sky. However, there appear to be many Sky sport channels so which one will carry F1?

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

I thought that the BBC will be showing half of the races. Either way it's bad news for us Freeview users.

Boo!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Yes, BBC will still be showing half the races, in addition it will also be showing all Main Highlights.

At least that is how understand it.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

As the F1 season runs March - Nov so it will cross the end and beginning of the football season. Super Sunday football has always been on Sky Sports 1.

So it seems likely you will need the Sky Sports package which gives all the Sports Channels

Like this post
maltose

Likes # 0

Thanks Bremner but I remain confused. As I see it I can subscribe to Sports 1 (£12.00), sports 2 (12.00) or all Sky Sports (£20.00). Will Sky announce on which channel F1 will be and historically do they change channels for specific sports?

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

I wouldn't put it past Sky to sometimes show it on Sports 1 and sometimes on Sports 2 or even have it as a pay-per-view event!

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

It will not be pay per view.

Best guess would be SS2 because of Sky's football and Test cricket commitments. However it can only be speculation.

Sky will undoudtedlt trailer it for months before hand so you will have plenty of time to make your mind up.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

The teams are unhappy with the deal because they want their sponsors to get the widest audience possible. I also am very unhappy as my Virgin package does not inc Sky sports because until now they have not shown motor racing, mind you I have all the movie channels and it will only cost me an extra £8 to add all the sport channels

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

Ecclestone is quoted as saying that this is great news for fans - getting coverage on two mainstream channels!

How does that work Bernie as the coverage was already on the one channel which it is virtually mandatory to have before you decide to watch anything else?

As usual it's got nothing to do with the fans - it's down to the money and nothing else.

I have been a motor racing fan since for as long as I can remember but I shall not be shelling out an extra cent to line the pockets of either Ecclestone or Murdoch.

If the beeb wants to save some cash they could start by showing only edited highlights of The Grand National or Wimbledon or definitely the ruddy darts and snooker.

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 0

just been reading that another option could be to watch via the free german channel RTL while listening to 5Live commentary.

will require a dish and reciever, but it would soon pay for itself compared to paying Sky each month.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The only sport I drop tools to watch is being removed to Sky. It hurts but if the Beeb saves £50 million by doing so, I'll look forward to a slight drop in the licence fee........ cough.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...