We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Changing email address for replies in Windows Mail

MFL
Resolved

Likes # 0

Supanet used to me my main email account but is now a secondary one - following a change of ISP. Since changing ISP I have been able to recieve (into Windows Mail) emails to my supanet address but not to send emails from this address (even if this were posible I would not want to do this as I am migrating all my email activity as Supanet want to charge £3.99 for continuing to use the address.)

But Windows Mail seems to select the Supanet address when I am replying to an email - irrespective which of my email addresses the original message came into. How can I change this?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The email address in your outgoing mail is specified in the "Account" settings you set up in the program. If you have multiple "Accounts" set up, new messages will have a drop-down menu from which to select either the default address or an alternative address.

The address on the received email is irrelevant to the address used when replying.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try clicking on the Little windows live mail button with the down arrow top left.

Options.

E-mail Accounts.

And if the e-mail account is on there remove it.

Like this post
MFL

Likes # 0

I still (for the time being) want to recieve (into Windows Mail) emails sent to my Supanet address (so don't want to remove this address).

I have (already) set one of my other addresses as default and all new emails are fine. It is just when replying to emails that the Supanet address is (by default) selected. Contrary to what I originally said the address to which the origianal mail was sent does seem to influence what address is selected for my reply. (If an email comes into my supanet or homecall account Windows mail selects my Supanet address for the reply - if a mail comes into mt gmail account the reply goes out from my gmail account).

I appreciate that I can change the 'from' address for each mail - but if I forget to do so the email won't go.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"(If an email comes into my supanet or homecall account Windows mail selects my Supanet address for the reply - if a mail comes into mt gmail account the reply goes out from my gmail account"

That's normal behaviour for Windows Mail and I don't think you can chage it.

"I appreciate that I can change the 'from' address for each mail - but if I forget to do so the email won't go."

There may be a workaround for that. Go into the server properties for your Supanet account, and in the SMTP section delete the Supanet server address and insert the one from your new ISP. You'll obviously find all that info in the properties for your new ISP's mail account.

When that's setup, you should be able to receive and send from your Supanet address.

However, it doesn't always work with all SMTP servers - BT is one example. It's worth trying though.

Like this post  
MFL

Likes # 0

Thanks Secret-Squirrel,

That seemed to do the trick.

Malcolm

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more