We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Did Virgin BB just try to rip me off?

ACOLYTE

Likes # 0

Been with virgin about 2 years,been good service and never had a reason to moan at the product. So today i thought i would upgrade my BB to a faster package,i have the 10Mb package and thought i would like the 30Mb one,so i rang them,and what i was told got me thinking if they was trying to pull a fast one. I was told that i could upgrade my BB from 10Mb to 30Mb and it would cost me an extra £1 a month,great i thought,then i was told there will be a £30 activation fee and a new 18 month contract,but they will send me a new router worth £75 for free.I said to the lady well my BB is already activated why do i need to pay £30 to activate somthing thats already on,and my router now i was told when i joined 2 years ago will work upto 50Mb so didnt need that either. So i got the usual speel,and finally she said what i can do is offer you 20Mb BB at an extra £1 a month,no activation fee and no new contract and i can use my exisitng router,guess what i chose,but im pretty sure she was trying to pull a fast one.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

It seems that Virgin are tryin to kill off their 20Mb Broadband offering, Click Here, so you were lucky to be offered it.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Well I suppose they have to make a profit somehow.

I read that the 10 mb was supposed to be going up to 30mb and the 20mb up to 50mb.

It would not pay them to upgrade you for £1 and also upgrade the modem or Router free.

I must admit I am with V/M also and there phone call charges are way over the top and their Line Rental as well.

You are actually cheaper using a mobile phone than than the V/M one.

I have been with them for about 6 years and have hardly had one problem with them.

If they brought their prices down a bit and got rid of the foreign call centers they would get lots more customers.

Like this post
ACOLYTE

Likes # 0

I agree they have to make a profit,but to charge people for something they already have seems a bit blatant and say we give you a router for free knowing full well the router will cost you a heck of a lot more than its worth as you need a new contract to get it,if i was someone who believed everything i was told i probably would have paid £30 to activate and got lumbered with a contract i didnt need.

I also have no real concerns with VM,they run a good service and its always been good for me at least,the phone charges i don't find that bad,not that i use it that much anyway. The only real issue is as you said the foreign call centres,9/10 you get someone from India/Pakistan who you cant understand,or they cannot understand you.Also the drop calls you seen to get every other week trying to sell you something,i just hang up the phone tbh,doesn't stop them trying though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks