We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is it a good idea to "lend" a wifi connection?

Guady

Likes # 0

I have a password protected wifi system. A friend who lives in the same building has asked if they can "borrow" my connection for the next 4 to 5 weeks.

What I would like to ask is:

Would allowing this slow down my own connection?

Would they be able to access my email account?

Would they be able to access my online banking, etc?

Generally, is this a safe thing to do? I'd like to help out but not if it puts my security at risk or slows down my own use of the internet etc.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

WiFi connections are being 'lent' all the time, but as you have already pointed out, security is one of the main issues. If you do not protect your service, then you will only have yourself to blame.

With regards to slowness, then this would all depend on how fast your service is at present, and how your friend intends using it. You may also need to perhaps look at your usage limitations on your own contract!.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Agree with the above, and no matter how good you think you know the person only he knows what he is capable of. i.e how honest he is

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

NO way ~~~ You will be responsible for anything he, or his friends, chose to download or hack.

You will also be responsible for paying for any Overuse of your Connection ~~ Unlimited rarely really means Unlimited and extra Gigabytes can be very expensive.

You do not know that he will not pass your Password on to others and unless you change your password at the end of the period, you could end up sharing your connection with many others, longterm.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Under no circumstances! You are actually breaking your contract by " lending" your bandwidth. Tell your neighbour to make his / her own arrangements!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK