We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Toshiba Satellite Pro Wireless Issue

Crosstrainer2
Resolved

Likes # 0

With my new network now up and running, and all devices talking to each other as they should, I probed about in the (VM supplied) Netgear Superhubs settings and discovered I can change the frequency from 2.4 to 5gz which gets me away from local interference.

My iMac, Ipad iPhone and ATV work perfectly with the setting at 5, but laptop flatly refuses to even see the network. I have a new Draytek wireless router being delivered this week and would like to use the higher setting for all devices without having to go into the admin screen and change back to 2.4 when using the lappy.

Anyone had this issue, or suggest a workaround?

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Should have added....Laptop runs Windows 7 64 bit, and the network card is the Atheros with the latest drivers installed.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"I can change the frequency from 2.4 to 5gz ...................but laptop flatly refuses to even see the network."

It's still unusual to find laptops with "dual band" adapters in them - even current models. So that almost certainly explains why your Toshiba can't see any 5GHZ wireless networks. However, lots of Mac models have had them for quite a while so that explains why those devices can connect without problem.

There are two workarounds for you. If your router supports it, enable 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ. That'll give you two discrete networks - a 2.4GHZ one for your Tosh and a 5GHZ one for your Mac devices. Or, you can buy a USB dual-band wireless adapter for your laptop.

If you want confirmation of your Toshiba's capabilities, post the full model number and I'll check out its specifications.

Like this post  
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirell

Thanks for that, the VM super hub only allows either or, but it will only be used as a modem when my new Draytek arrives. I've just confirmed what you posted above, the tip about using both 2.4 and 5 IS possible with the Draytek so that's the way I will go.

The laptop is only there because I need a Windows based machine for certain specific things and it's not used much. Would like to get rid and buy a macbook pro, but will have to wait on that one for now.

Will tick this resolved, thanks for the info! :))

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK