We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External Hard Drive

March Wind
Resolved

Likes # 0

WD Weston 500gb EX HD. windows XP.

Could you please advise on what to do to make my External hard drive work. The last time it worked. I had some hardware plugged into my PC. when I wanted to plug it I clicked on safely remove hardware, then clicked on the drive so I thought. Now I am wondering if I clicked on my External Hard drive. I know this has happened before. When I got it to work I had a different drive for it. this time I cannot get it to work so I clicked on disconnect on the EX HD. then I switched of the PC and switched back thinking this might do the trick. It didn't so I unplugged USB and the plug still it will not work.

When I click on the HD I get a message saying. The drive or network connection that the shortcut External HD(J), link'refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again. I do not know what to do. Help please.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Have a look at this link text it may solve your problem.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Why have you got two threads on the go, with the same heading?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

Ghost device conflicts are the mostly cause especially for devices that are connected and disconnected regularly i.e. pen drives, external drives, mp3 devices and phones.

Remove all USB devices

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdevicesview.html

Download and run

Uninstall ALL devices that are shown as not connected.

Reboot the machine.

Plug in your USB device and windows should then find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the device.

Like this post  
March Wind

Likes # 0

I am closing this thread down I got two for this link because I didn't think it worked the first time so I clicked again that how I managed to get two thread the same sorry. I will be working from the other thread but I will also look at the comments on this thread but work from the other as that has 4 lots of feed back and this has three.

Like this post
March Wind

Likes # 0

x

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......