We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Battery problem with Toshiba Satellite A 300-1mc

eysha

Likes # 0

Can anyone tell me why the battery on this model sometimes cuts out? I switched on my laptop tonight and got absolutely nothing - black screen and only the fan running. I swooped battery with my daughter's laptop (same model exactly) and my laptop started normally. I ask because this is not the first time this has happened. Anyone know why please and how to correct it? It didn't work with the electricity plugged in either and i thought it should have done so why not? Many thanks in advance E.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I appears you have may have a faulty battery. It is either not holding the charge or not charging properly. Switch off and remove the battery then connect the Adaptor/charger and try it again.

Like this post
eysha

Likes # 0

The battery works fine in my daughter's laptop so i don't think it can be faulty. This is not the first time this has happened. when it does happen my daughter and i switch batteries and both work fine. the questionis why is it happeing?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

In that case it may be a setting on your laptop - Go to Control Panel - Power Options - check the settings for "Choose when to turn off my Display" and "Change when the Computer Sleeps" - adjust accordingly.

Like this post
eysha

Likes # 0

Not the settings as the laptops are almost 3 years old now and i haven't messed with any settings. the battery works perfectly ok for ages and ages then it suddenly won't work as in the laptop will not do anything at all only black screen. Then if i swop my battery with my daughter's battery both batteries work in the different, but same model of laptop, so i would like to know why it happens so i can correct it. Thanks E.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Something must be "draining" your battery on "your" laptop for this behaviour to occur. If it works for "ages & ages" as you describe then suddenly won't work then there is a loss of power supply somewhere. When you change battery and "your" laptop starts working again it appears to be getting the power supply again that it needs.

The only other thing is that the laptop has a faulty Adaptor "plug-in" socket which would maybe account for the fact that it does not work with the adaptor (electricity supply connected)

Your laptop is 3yrs old = is that the original battery?

Other possibles are it is going into "hibernation" - overheating (unlikely) or a component is "playing up"

Like this post
eysha

Likes # 0

When i said ages and ages i should have specified months. I have new adaptor, replaced only a couple of months ago. Yes it is the original battery. Your last line might be an explanation. can you tell me more please? Thanks E.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I would think that the Mains Adapter as got a intermittent fault, so you need a new one that outputs the same volts as the old one and watts are same or bigger

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS Try your Daughters Adapter in Your Laptop if its exact same model

Like this post
eysha

Likes # 0

It is the right adaptor. I bought the laptop from Bainbridges so when the adaptor failed they replaced it so i know it is the right one. My daughter's adaptor is exactly the same as mine too.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

eysha - take a look here link text

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow