We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Psu or motherboard?

metallicat

Likes # 0

hi, i have an 8 year old hp that is not starting up, only the lights and fans are working. Is the cause likely to be the power supply of the motherboard? If its powersupply is it easy to replace a PSU? Thanks

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Before you blame component failure try this.- Shutdown and switch off the computer at the wall. Now press and hold the reboot button for at least 20 seconds. Cross fingers and switch on again as normal. I cured a similar non-start some time ago on this much younger computer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just my opinion:.............. Yes, easy to replace the PSU but make quite sure of the physical attributes to match your motherboard and case.

The root problem needs inspired guesswork! In a younger machine I would say the PSU is to blame. It should be giving accurately controlled voltages at all its potential leads. Many computer repair shops are able to check your PSU whereas you can't do this with just a multimeter because the various voltages are only true when under load If you remove the existing PSU and take it in, the shop would doubtless sell you a suitable one if yours is faulty.

Motherboard failure is bad news indeed and probably not worth replacing in such an old model.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If fans and lights are OK, I would think the mobo was dead. Eight years is a long time in electronics!

Like this post
metallicat

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice, tried the reboot key suggestion but didn't work unfortunately I think its time to update!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

When you buy your new System:

Also buy a Caddy/Enclosure (about £10 to £15), this is a empty case into which you can fit a Hard Drive.

You take the Hard Drive out of your old PC and stick it in the Caddy, which will have a USB Connection. You can then copy, from it, all your old stuff onto the the new PC.

Once you have done that, you can Format your "new" External Hard Drive and then use it for your Back-ups.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide