We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Boot Critical error

Noggerules

Likes # 0

Oh the joys of school holidays, grandson really caused problems on his computer.

ASUS Eeetop ET AGT B090. Windows 7 Home 64(ww)

Tells us Boot critical file ‘ci.dll’ is corrupt. tried to paste good copy of file but asks me to log on as administrator which I am.

Unable to log into OS either normally or Safe Mode Can only log in using f8 and clicking ‘Disable driver signature enforcement’

Tried to get into f9 restore, but seems to freeze with blank screen and coloured dots at the top of screen. Hard drives are ‘C’ ‘D’ and restore is in ‘G’

Is there anything I can do to progress? Any help would be useful.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

if nothing critical why not use the factory restore disc

Like this post
Noggerules

Likes # 0

Thanks for quick reply. Unfortunately there is no disk, restore is on the hard drive which I assume is the one marked ‘g’ above, which just ends with blank screen when I press f9

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

CAn you get to command prompt using F8?

If so type

sfc /scannow

press enter

let windows find and replace corrupt / missing files. when its completed

retry to boot normally.

Like this post
Noggerules

Likes # 0

No, takes and age and keeps cycling, cannot repair

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. With system off. Unplug any USB devices including memory/pen drives.

2. Boot normally. If still problem reboot to Safe mode.

3. Uninstall last software you installed. (if this software is Windows installer based you will not be able to uninstall it in Safe mode).

4. Use Msconfig to disable all possible startup programs.

5. Try a normal boot.

If no joy then try a system restore.

Like this post
Noggerules

Likes # 0

As I stated in the original question: Unable to log into OS either normally or Safe Mode Can only log in using f8 and clicking ‘Disable driver signature enforcement’

Tried to get into f9 restore, but seems to freeze with blank screen and coloured dots at the top of screen. Hard drives are ‘C’ ‘D’ and restore is in ‘G’

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Can you create a Win 7 recovery/boot disk from a friend's PC? It needs to be 32 bit or 64 bit , the same as your OS, and use that to try a repair? There's a link here for 64 bit, Recovery/boot disc.

Like this post
Noggerules

Likes # 0

Thaks for all your help I created a Win7 64 recovery disk still no joy.

Is the logging on using ‘Disable driver signature enforcement’ any indication of error

Sorry clutching at straws at the moment and this is only way we can log on

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Can you get to the command prompt?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If so have a look here,microsoft support.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today