We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB devices causing PC to freeze

DeeCee1669

Likes # 0

Yesterday, my PC refused to recognise my USB card reader and so I tried it in another USB slot. The slots are at the back of my PC and I was a bit careless. I'm not sure if I've shorted something out but now my PC hangs on the memory test and won't progress. If I remove all the USB devices from the slots it will load but my mouse is a USB device so I can't really do very much. Any suggestions on what the problem is would be much appreciated.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 1

Try a reinstall of USB drivers

Start - control panel - system hardware - device manager. Select a USB controller, double click, + right click controllers, select delete or uninstall. Do this for each controller. Restart. PC. The drivers will load or reinstall themselves automatically.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Good suggestion Ex plorer and worth a try but the computer is stalling before booting into Windows because it's trying to boot from a USB device so therefore I still think the BIOS is the root cause. Let`s see if we get a response ....

Like this post
DeeCee1669

Likes # 0

Sorted!!! Actually it's turned out that I did something really stupid. Like I said, it's a bit dark at the back of my PC and I must have got my cables muddled. I had put one end of my USB hub into one USB slot on the PC and then put the end of a USB extension (connected to the hub) into the other slot. 2 days of stressing with no computer. posting here and phoning my local PC fixer guy.

Actually, couldn't get into the BIOS either - hence the panic. Many thanks for all your suggestions. Much appreciated.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps worth a mention, some devices might start to 'play up' if there is insufficient power available, and then you may find that a powered hub is a solution worth considering. Not saying that it is a case here , because the problem as been resolved, but perhaps worth considering in the future!.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Have a look in the BIOS at the boot order and either disable or move down the list anything referring to USB or network drives.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund