We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Firewire on PC

fatgeezer

Likes # 0

Hi - complete technophobe here. I have a Sony digital 8 Handycam that I am loathe to get rid of as it takes good quality film. However I can't view any film on the PC for editing etc. Someone has suggested that I need a 'Firewire' connection. Does the PC have to have a dedicated Firewire port or something,as I don't think it has one. Looking on Fleabay just now I see you can buy Firewire 'cards' reasonably cheaply,but get a bit scared as it looks as if you have to take the PC apart to connect it. Is there another way of connecting my camera to the PC?. Thanks.

Like this post
fatgeezer

Likes # 0

Well - I've got round to trying the usb adapter card,but can't get any sound out of it!!. The video is OK. I am using the composite leads until I get an s-video male-male lead. The green light doesn't come on either so assume it is buggered. Oh well.......

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

"The green light doesn't come on either so assume it is buggered. Oh well......."

No, It's a Fake, See this Click here

and this Click here

From the above link "Be warned. Sadly there are lots of fakes now made in China. To combat this, the manufacturer has had to change their trading name from Easycap to the trademarked name ezcap™ and radically redesigned their product. If you are offered an Easycap product, it is a fake. You get what you pay for."

Another link to read from I've just bought an easycap and ......... Click here

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Sorry about it not working I got mine from Aldi same type thing but was about £29 Why Does Amazon sell things that are no good. I use mine with a Analog Camcorder that is my Daughters but use other software with the device, Pinnacle 9.5 you could try Microsoft Free MovieMaker if you do not have any other software

Like this post
fatgeezer

Likes # 0

Thanks Lazarus the 2nd and woodchip. Only paid £4 on ebay for it,guess I'll have to bin it and fork out a bit more for the real thing. Tried Maplins with no luck. Thanks again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......