We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New pc / monitor probs

yogibear

Likes # 0

Just bought my son a new pc and 23" monitor. Connect everything up and turn on monitor, ok. Turn on PC and monitor goes onto standby, and nothing will 'reawaken' it. Tried different VGA cable and the same occurs.

Can take it back in morning, but wondered if you good peeps had any ideas.

Cheers.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Some monitors have to be set - dvi vga etc by useing the mon buttons. Have you tried useing a diff outlet on your graph card?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

You may have to change the setting on the TV/monitor or maybe try the HDMI cable only £1 odds on e-buyer.

Maybe the driver needs updating for it.

You get a CD with the settings including drivers I presume.I never used it and just let Microsoft update it.

oops just thinking the computer may not have an HDMI connection or you would have tried that.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Does the old monitor work on it,Worth a try if you still have it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It is possible that it is looking for a dvi or hdmi connection instead of vga and you manually have to change on the monitor although most monitors automatically recognise the connection.

New PC is there any out put on an old monitor.

Without picture buteman's suggestions about drivers is not going to work.

Like this post
yogibear

Likes # 0

That's it, I cannot get to the settings as there is no boot up screen, it just goes to standby as soon as the PC is turned on. They are both brand new, out of the box tonight. Miffed or what?

Like this post
yogibear

Likes # 0

The PC is an Aspire x5400, the monitor Acer P236H. All I get is the 'No signal Input ' blue icon.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

The settings for mon do not need pc working - you use the buttons on the mon. Does the pc boot up - i know you can not see it - but does it boot. Does the hard drive show it is working?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Most times when you get the 'No signal Input ' that is either down to a faulty cable between the graphic card and monitor or the graphic card is not working.

Can you connect the monitor to another PC or laptop just to check it, when you start the PC up do you get any noise coming from it, a beep, 2 beeps?

Like this post
yogibear

Likes # 0

Thanks for that everyone. The 'fault' was that the VGA connector was disconnected inside the case, an HDMI cable was needed to connect it all up. The fact that a shiny new VGA cable was included in the box, no HDMI cable, and nothing anywhere to indicate that this was the case threw me.

Acer Aspire AX5400, anyone buying one make a note of it, you need to buy a seperate HDMI cable.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more