We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop will not boot into BIOS

sydhall

Likes # 0

Hi,

Can anyone be of help: One of my Granddaughters Laptops has ceased to function? It still lights up and the fan works. I have tried a external monitor same result. I would be most grateful for any ideas.

Regards

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Instructions here link text

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Will it start in safe mode.You have probably tried that but thought that I would ask.

Has it been loosing any time lately if so new C-moss battery needed.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Fans run leds light - any sound of hdd activity?

When attaching external monitor need to cycle through monitor modes with Fn + one of F keys(blue square symbol) sometimes this can be activated in error leavig the screen blank when switching on.

also check for sticking lid switch as this can turn screen off.

Like this post
sydhall

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat :

Have put new bios battery in no sign of life whatsoever: Just a thought could it be the on board Video Chip.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Use a torch to look at the screen can you see a faint image?

If so inverter or backlight failure

nothing on screen could be screen cable connection / lid switch sticking

but would expect external monitor to work.

if external monitor no good as well, after using Fn + F key to switch modes, then yes could well be graphics chip

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer