We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC turns on but nothing on monitor

juedoc

Likes # 0

Hi my PC turns o but the monitor flashes up 'no signal' then goes onto standby. Any ideas please

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Sounds like the graphics card/chip. Is it on-board or a separate card? Worth making sure the lead is in securely at each end.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try starting in safe mode and see if it works and try last good configuration or system restore.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Have you done anything with the PC in the immediate past, Moved it, cleaned it, whatever.

Juedoc has it right. Re-seat the Graphics Card, check all the connections and I'll add, check that you have not damaged one of the pins on the cable plug or socket.

Like this post
juedoc

Likes # 0

I have checked the leads and they are all ok, how do I check the graphics card? I havent done anything to the PC it was fine when I turned it off last night.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Have you got an old graphic card you can put in it's place, or another PC you can try your card in.

What make and model of card is in your PC now.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If separate graphics card (possibility of card worked slightly loose due to thermal expansion contraction)

Switch off

Disconnect monitor lead

Open case

remove graphics card and refit graphics card

reconnect lead

reboot

Like this post
juedoc

Likes # 0

I have only got a laptop no other pc. On the front of the pc out days graphics by Mckeown it's a packard bell pc

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

juedoc I believe that refers some soft ware you have on the PC, not the actual graphic card.

You should or may find some information on the back of the PC, if not then you may have to open the PC up and have a look at the set up inside.

Just do not forget to unplug the the PC from the power supply first.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...