We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Failed To Start

hawthorn59

Likes # 0

* * Member * PipPipPip

* Group: Member

Posted Today, 02:41 AM Hi Folks.

I sold my previous HP Laptop tp a friend and about 8-9 months later there are problems. Everything was running so slowly, I tried virus and spyware scans but to no avail, it was still taking over 5 minutes to open.

Got my nephew to reformat the HD (he works in IT, but has gone back after the weekend now!). We had the original Windows 7 disk, so used that.

All went well last night at first.Then I downloaded MSE, Adobe, and Flash, also Firefox 5 and Superantispyware. All was going well, very fast. Turned on this morning and it wont load!

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software....(screen disappeared b4 i had chance to take notes)"

Then it loaded Startup Repair, and went through the process. It will go no further even after shutting down and restarting.

Get a message I dont understand:

6.1.7600.16385. unknown, -1, AutoFailer, 2, Corrupt Registry. 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1 then when I go to advanced, a load of messages I dont understand, and finally, Root cause Registry Corrupt. Get the same thing every time!!!

Could it be the Hard Drive? Also I found the full text of the message mentioned above, and note that 1 option was to put in the Disc and turn on. Havent done that. If that is your advice I will wait till he is home again!

Any ideas or opinions?

thanks

h

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

Sounds like the Registry is corrupt What was the last piece of software to be installed ? was any new hardware plugged in ? scanner ? printer ect

i would try boot into the Repair my computer option and try a system restore to a earlier point in time

If you want to test the HDD Boot into repair my computer and choose the command prompt option and then type in chkdsk /r /f. I would also run a memory test as it could be faulty RAM

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If you have installed several items of software and rebooted during the process, try booting the Last Known Good Configuration which should use the last good version of the registry.

Immediately after powering on, tap the F8 key until the Boot Menu is displayed and select the Last Known Good Configuration option.

Like this post
hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Hi mgmcc

I just tried that, and System Repair came into action, and I was back to the same messages as before. Immediately I click "Finish" the laptop powers off.

h

Like this post
hawthorn59

Likes # 0

c4rmo

The last piece of software was Firefox 5.

Booted into Started Repair and everything appears to be successful. Then it says Startup Repair has tried several times but still cannot determine the cause of the problem.

When I open it in safe mode it again goes into Startup Repair. Same thing when I try safe mode with command prompt.

So I think I'll have to wait for the nephew to come home at the weekend again!

Could I or should I try booting from the Windows 7 disk?

thanks

h

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'