We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MSI VR601 battery not working

theDarkness

Likes # 0

My laptop (MSI VR601)'s battery is not working-the mains plug works, but inserting it into the laptop does nothing. The laptops battery icon does not go on when the charger is insered, yet the actual chargers mains plug+block is seemingly working fine and its own light does come on when inserted into the mains-is this always a simple case of a laptop dead battery? Or is something else often involved-knowing MSIs rep, whats the most likely? Thanks :)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. Does laptop boot when connected to mains with battery out? proves mains adaptor is and laptop is OK.

if so:

try

1. Turn off the computer,
  2. Take the battery out
  3. Take out the power supply
  4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
  5. Reconnect power supply
  6. Then the battery.
Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

ive found out that the reason for not booting is likely to be because the metal connector from the laptops m'board (that the small end of the mains adapter usually connects with) is not showing- it seems to have cracked off, as is no longer visible looking through the small power port on the side of the laptop. i have been told that although it may just be a case of replacing this connector/quick resoldering, it may not be cheap if i dont do it myself-£70+ from independant stores, or up to £200 from certain hi st pc repair stores? I could buy a new laptop with this kind of repair rates if the latter turns out to be true,lol

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The cost is due to the time required to strip and rebuild the machine, the price of the DC jack socket is minimal.

How to replace a DC jack socket

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

thanks for the info-i shouldve been more accurate as its not my machine,merely the same model. i did not want to attempt a repair myself,so they have given it to a local store today,and they have stated £70 for 2hrs to rebuild.. a rip off? what would be a more realistic price if so? im wondering how the problem with a broken power jack could have happened in the first place if the laptop has never been opened until now-constant input/removal of the power cable or from a fall is all i can think of..

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

£70 for 2hrs to rebuild

That's not a bad price typical cost would be £30 per hour for a skilled man remember a shop has overheads to cover as well as a profit to make to stay in business.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

Im wondering if such a repair would really take 2hrs. i was more shocked to find out after googling that one pc world store had a flat repair rate of over £200, no matter what the problem-so a definate rip off ('rip off britain' article). i could buy a new system for that, and come to think of it, i could probably almost buy a reasonable 2nd hand laptop for the cost of an independant 2 hr repair.. Im wondering if such a repair would really take 2hrs. i was more shocked to find out after googling that one pc world store had a flat repair rate of over £200, no matter what the problem-so a definate rip off ('rip off britain' article). i could buy a new system for that, and come to think of it, i could probably almost buy a reasonable 2nd hand laptop for the cost of an independant 2 hr repair..

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

edit-this phone is rubbish,lol

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund