We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop won't see wireless router.

the old man
Resolved

Likes # 0

Various things can connect to router wirelessly. My laptop, my htc desire, son's blackberry. However, Daughters laptop simply won't connect wirelessly. I thought her wireless card in Dell Inspiron 1750 was duff so I bought her a tp-link wireless adapter. All drivers installed but cannot get it to connect to the router. Have checked settings but cannot see any thing unusual. Her laptop connects via a wired connection with no problems. I just think there is a small setting which is stopping it connecting. She is using Win Vista 64 bit and all necessary updates applied.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Can it 'see' the router? May be Windows Zero Configuration v TP Link software. What happens when you scan for wireless networks?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'Can it 'see' the router'

Obviously not, having re-checked the title of your thread!

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

Is the wireless card actually enabled?

Many laptops require a the Fn button and another button (F10) pressed before the wireless card is switched on

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

What Channel number is the router using? Channels 12 and 13 are illegal in some countries (but not the UK) and consequently some adapters are designed not to function with these channels.

Like this post
the old man

Likes # 0

FN+F10 does not a difference, and properties of router show it is wireless enabled. Really baffling as there are so many devices that wirelessly connect with no problems. This laptop has been used wirelessly in the past as I bought for daughter from a friend and saw it working and not only on one occassion.

Like this post
dawood

Likes # 0

Take a look on these wireless network troubleshooting tips, probably could provide you more ideas solving the wireless access problem.

Hope this helps.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more