We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wi-fi access lost

Heckmotor

Likes # 0

We've belatedly applied WPA password protection to our wi-fi and got everything working apart from a Dell Latitude X300 laptop with Windows XP.

The router is set to WPA/PSK Only and Mixed (WPA+WPA2) and then has a PSK which we have set, but the laptop doesn't appear to recognise the PSK. The other laptop which is newer works fine.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

XP fully updated to SP3?

Are you using windows or 3rd party (DEll) software for the wireless configuration in the Dell?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Are you certain that the WiFi card in the laptop supports WPA, some of the earlier models only supported WEP. I have tried a Google search for your model but could not get a definitive answer, perhaps you have a Users Manual which could advise you of the security available.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I got a new Toshiba Laptop from Curry's and took it back after about 12 days of trying to get it to work with PSK it would only work as Wep, at the time it was a Vista OS Laptop

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

As "chub_tor" suggests, the Wireless Network Adapter in the Laptop may not support WPA. Updated drivers with WPA support, if available, might resolve the problem, otherwise an option is to plug in a USB WiFi adapter and use that instead of the built-in one.

Like this post
Heckmotor

Likes # 0

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Yes, Fruit Bat, our XP's fully updated with SP3 and we're using Windows for the Dell wireless configuration. I see from the Device Manager that a 1394 Net Adapter (whatever that is) is disabled, and that we have a Dell TrueMobile 1400 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card - when I click 'Update Driver' I'm invited to insert a CD ...that I don't have. Looks like I'll need to follow mgmcc's advice, and get a USB WiFi adapter - a shame, as I've only got two USB ports and they're usually spoken for. Do you have any specific advice on adapters to ask for, or to avoid? Thanks, anyway, for your thoughts.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

HAve a read here

looks like this might be the solution to your problem

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Before you buy a new adapter, log back into your router's wireless security section and let us know what the "WPA encryption" is set to (if it's shown). It'll be either AES, TKIP, or AES & TKIP.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Why no get a PCMCIA WiFi Card Click Hear

Like this post
Heckmotor

Likes # 0

Thank you all – we’re there!

We’ve stepped back from WPA / WPA2 Mixed to just WPA2 and selected TKIP and got everything working – two generations of Dell laptop, Kodak printer, Samsung Smart TV…

We went back to our settings in response to Secret Squirrel's suggestion - the DrayTek 2800 router wasn't going to reveal its secrets but we had another round of trials at the XP end. Woodchip's suggestion of a PCMCIA card was looking like an excellent fix that would have left both of our USB ports still available, but turns out we've already got there - happy day, and thanks again.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You can get PCMCIA Combo card For USB and Firewire

Click Hear This will give you extra USB Plus Firewire

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?