We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

no laptop power.why?

sabbs

Likes # 0

I have no power in my laptop, I dont know if its the battery or the lead or the connector. How can I check what is wrong if I have no power?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Remove battery try on mains only (dead battery may be dragging down power supply)

If still dead:

Check power from socket (plug in known working item)

Check fuse in plug

Use a meter to check you have required voltage between inner and outer connections on DC jack plug (19v on most modern Laptops check output value as printed on adaptor)

Check in DC jack socket is loose in back of laptop.

Like this post
sabbs

Likes # 0

ok, i took the battery out-still no power.I tried it in different plug sockets-working sockets-still no power. This may sound dumb but how do I check the fuse?I pulled it out but how do i know if its dead or not. This may also sound dumb but... "Use a meter to check you have required voltage between inner and outer connections on DC jack plug "-I dont think I have a meter.(not sure what one is!) I dont know what else to try. Dont wanna buty a new lead incase its not that.PLease help!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

The Mains adapter that you plug into the Laptop, I think is dead, that's what you need a meter for to check it. If its dead the laptop would just run the battery down till it stopped. You need to Check the Adapter label on the bottom for what Output Volts is, input should be 240 volts ac output can be in the region of 19 volts dc. But needs to be same output if you buy a new one

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

how do I check the fuse?

Easiest way is to put in a new one. Assuming 3 Amp try it in another plug using same size fuse.

Youtube how to test

Like this post
sabbs

Likes # 0

its 5 amp. i tried another 5 amp with the battery in and without.its still not working.do you think i need a new power lead then?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I think you need a new Mains Adapter/Charger. There are several sites to choose from if you just Google "Laptop Mains Charger" or there is one such site here for you to look at - just search for your laptop and check that the "output" and "volts" are the same (look on the bottom of your old one) before making a purchase. link text

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If you search on different sites you will get a comparison of prices and warranties.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If its a Multi purpose Adapter you need to set the output Volts to the same as your old one

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...