We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is best driver updater software?

Snrub
Resolved

Likes # 0

What is best driver updater software package that is safe to use?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

According to this it's Driver Reviver

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I don't use any. I update drivers only when I have a problem and then I go to the manufacturer's site and download the official driver. Why update when it isn't broken? IMO there are too many problems created by driver update programs and registry cleaners.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I agree totally with Woolwell with one exception.

The occasional use of a simple registry cleaner like Regseeker is worthy as most programs uninstallers can leave behind so much detritus.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If I do use a reg cleaner then I use CCleaner.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I have found that while ccleaner is very good at most things it's reg cleaner is not that good.

Regseeker finds literally hundres of additional "things to remove" after running ccleaner.

Regseeker is a tiny program that is not installed just run from an exe

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

if it ain't broke, don't fi it!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have little doubt that Regseeker is very good at finding Orphan Registry Entries and that it finds many that CCleaner misses.

I will, however, stick to CCleaner, which is fairly conservative in it's choice of Orphans, because I do not have the necessary Knowledge Base to identify those that should not be tampered with.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Anyone used 2011 Systweak Advanced Driver Updater?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

As to Driver Updates, I tend to leave these until there is no alternative.

Almost all attempts in the past, have ended in tears, if that is an appropriate simile.

However I do have the Microsoft Update Site set to check Drivers for me.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Wee Eddie

Whether it is ccleaner or Regseeker it would be foolish in the extreme not to let the program back up the registry prior to making any change.

Because of this i am more than happy to let Regseeker do its thing in the knowledge that should something go wrong, a restoration of the Registry is possible.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...