We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Reading Acronis Backup HDD on another PC

Alan2

Likes # 0

The main HDD on my laptop has failed and it’s been sent off for repair but I would like to access the backed up data on its USB HDD.

The laptop uses Acronis TI 11 running Vista whilst my PC uses Acronis TI 10 on XP pro.

When the USB HDD is plugged into the PC it doesn’t show on My Computer but is listed under driver manager.

Is accessing this data a forlorn hope?

Like this post
mimosa418

Likes # 0

Can you install TI 10 on your laptop. TI 11 will not read TI10 files.

Like this post
Alan2

Likes # 0

The laptop is out of commission and I don't want to risk problems on the PC by installing TI 11 on it as I'm using TI 10 to back up the PC.

But thanks anyway.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Try and D/L TI 10 from this link http://www.trueimage2010.com/ It is a trial copy and may work for a limited time for you to extract your TI 10 backup.

Like this post
Alan2

Likes # 0

I found I had TI 11 on my PC so I disconnected its backup HDD and connected the laptop's backup HDD (to avoid any conflict) but the result was the same. ie it wasn't seen on my computer and Acronis couldn't see it either.

I'll give up for now.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Worry about Acronis after you get Desktop to recognise the USB HDD.

If it doesn't show in Explorer then no use looking for a backup image.

Have you tried the other USB ports on the Desktop, front and back?

Post back when you get time for another fiddle around.

Is it USB or mains powered HDD?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September