We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

IE9 or Firefox

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

OS Windows 7

I have only just got IE8, but still prefer to use Firefox 5.0.1. Microsoft wants me to 'update' to IE9. I thought I'd check in with you guys first for your opinions?

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Google Chrome is worth trying - I am just getting used to it and I have now made it my default browser. It is fast and straightforward.

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en-GB/landing_tv.html

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I can see no harm in updating to IE9 if you are going to use Firefox mostly.

I am not that keen on IE9 although I have it downloaded. There is no search bar on it and you have to clear the address bar and use that.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

I have no problems with IE9 along with Win7. It is certainly as fast as any of the other Browsers on offer. If it is any slower, it is imperceptible, but I usually find it to be quicker. I have used a number of them and have taken them all off and stick with IE9.

TonyV

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Zak

It is said that IE9 compares favourably against Chrome.

buteman

The search bar loss wouldn't be a disaster for me, because I do all my searches with 'Search Lotto'. For ever 25 new varified searches you get a free lottery ticket.

TonyV

You plead a good case for IE9. I think in view of two to one so far, IE9 has it. I'll wait until tomorrow before making my final decision though. See if anyone else comes with any other positives or indeed negatives.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

Graphicool1

As far as the search bar is concerned, again, I have no problem with typing directly into the address bar and clicking return to get my search engine to do its' stuff!

TonyV

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

No problems here using IE9 with Win 7 although I much prefer Firefox 5

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I use FF5 almost exclusively.

I upgraded to IE9 though (from IE8) on a vague feeling that security would be 'more up to date'.

Dunno if it really matters though. Not as if I had an old IE6 waiting for some nasty to fire it up and do something.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Prefer IE9 to Firefox although have the latter as standby. Tried the rest, including the wonderful chrome, but not for me.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I've tried and often use IE9, Firefox 5, Chrome, Opera and Safari. IE9 is fine but I still prefer Firefox. Chrome is quick but I like Google toolbar. Had to get Add-on compatibility report for some of the add-ons to run on Firefox %. Opera is quite quick but some sites don't like it. Safari is an acquired taste. It's growing on me. I think Firefox has become slower.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Guys

Thanx for your input. As yet I'm still dithering on the sideline. Still undecided, I'm thinking of going for it, if for no other reason than to stop MS nagging me about it. But as robinofloxley said..."I use FF5 almost exclusively"...I do too.

When I had IE7 I made the mistake of deleting it, to use only FF. I had all kinds of problems trying to get it back again. Because without it MS wouldn't let me update the system!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow