We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

IE9 or Firefox

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

OS Windows 7

I have only just got IE8, but still prefer to use Firefox 5.0.1. Microsoft wants me to 'update' to IE9. I thought I'd check in with you guys first for your opinions?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have all 5 browsers installed. I don't find that a problem. Watch out for other programs being downloaded too (Safari - Apple is the main culprit) and most want to try to become the default browser. Make sure you tick/untick the relevant boxes.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I run IE 9, and Firefox 4.0.1 (I tried FF5 but it excluded many of my add ins that I want) IE has always been the browser of choice for me, and is my default browser. I am sure that it all boils down to a prsonal choice.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Woolwell

That's a bit OTT isn't it. Are you, by any chance a browser beta checker?

rawprawn

I use FF5, I don't have any addons, as I feel it just slows FF down. That and of course I don't really find the need for them. Now that I have a new PC I'm trying to have a more minimalist approach. It's the new me, I say clear out the clutter, although how long I can keep to this new regime remains to be seen. As I've already said the new PC is running Win7. But even so I'm not out of the water quite yet. Because I'm going to have to do a virtual install of WinXP so that I can run just one programme. But I new I would have to do this before I got this PC.

The programme in question won't even run in compatibility mode, it is, ironically...'Microsoft Picture It!'. I've been using it for years, I know every wrinkle and with work pressing, I have neither the time or inclination to learn how to use another art editing package, nomatter how easy everyone may say it is.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Graphicool1 - You're right about it being OTT. I'm trying to decide which one to remove. Opera probably. Opera when installed has a nasty habit of changing which programs opens some file extensions eg png

I don't beta test now. I need this system to run well.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just found out that you have to stay with Bing as search provider in IE9 as Google will not work.

It says enabled but not available for Google.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

buteman - That isn't correct. I use Google not Bing. There is small snag with the Google Toolbar.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The drop down arrow to the right of the address bar allows you to choose which search engine. If Google isn't present then click on addMS Default search

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

buteman

I have Google UK as my Default Search Engine, but I also have Google, Bing, Yahoo, Wikepedia, and Ask as alternatives if I so desire.

TonyV

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Must just be my problem then.

I did try your first method.at 7.04 and it still says not available although it also says enabled.

Your 2nd method does not give Google as a choice.

I have put it on and took it off a few times but it still says Not available.

Mind you I am trying to add it on to the 32 bit I/e maybe I should be trying it on the 64bit version.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......