We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Slow Office Starter Edition

benson68

Likes # 0

I've just got a netbook that has M/Soft Office Starter edition, but the opening window is displayed for ages, until the selected file comes up. Is there a way to edit the registry to minimise this initial display?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

This link gives a guide as to what Office Starter is and the surprise to me is that the OEM installer usually adds the Bing Bar option as well as Live Essentials and features advertisements for Microsoft to encourage users to upgrade to a higher spec version. This may be what is slowing down the start up. Try some of the Office options to see if these can be disabled.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"but the opening window is displayed for ages,"

That's just the way it is with the Starter edition and I don't think there's anything you can do about it.

The Office Starter files are held in a protected environment and when you want to use it, Microsoft's new-fangled "virtualisation" technology kicks in - that's why you see the splash-screen and that "Processing" message for ages before anything happens.

Even on reasonably powerful PCs there's still an annoying delay and I can imagine your netbook taking a whole lot longer.

If you want your MS Office apps to load quickly then you'll need to switch to the full version that installs itself on your hard drive in the conventional way.

Like this post
benson68

Likes # 0

Thanks anyway folks. I just thought that there might be a "fix" for it. By the way chub_tor, "This link" didn't work, so I don't know what it would have revealed. I've already got the "bing bar" plus Windows Live Mail. (Didn't want any of the other stuff)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad