We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Copying Internal. HD,says 111gb but cant find it files?

bob dob

Likes # 0

Hi, I'm going to copy the files from my friend's internal HD to my external HD but when i plug in my friend's HD via my USB cables, it says that a partition has 111gb in but when i explore\expand the folder all folders say they are empty apart from Documents and settings and that says it only has 16mb in. Very confusing. Im trying to find files such as Word docs but am unable to locate them.

Is it best just to copy all files over and locate them once they are on my external drive?

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

your external hard drive will show up on the My Computer screen when connected just like any other hard drive. Drag and drop (or copy & paste) the files you wish to back up onto your external hard drive.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Access Files XP Home Simple file sharing is enabled by default in XP Home Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab. or http://www.whitsoftdev.com/rshx/ or

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/08/03/enable-and-display-security-tab-in-windows-xp-home-edition/ and click on the link at part one and download the required program.

Follow the instructions and the security tab will be enabled. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY OR YOU COULD DENY ACCESS TO ALL YOUR FILES.

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Hi, yes thank you, i know that but im trying to ask why i cant 'see' the files such as Word documents (which i know are on there)

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Access Files XP Home Simple file sharing is enabled by default in XP Home Note ...How do i access Files XP?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1st

My computer - Tools - folder options - View - Hidden files and folders - make sure Show hidden files and folders is ticked - click apply

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen