We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Skype Connection

Spock999

Likes # 0

I have had to change my router to a Draytek 2710n. Evrything has been working OK except the Skype connection will not stay up. It keeps talking about the internet connection having a problem.

This is true with my Windows 7 main computer (which has never worked with Skype as it is brabnd new) and the XP laptop which previously worked.

Previously, I have not had to do anything special to make Skype work is there anything I should be doing now?

Thanks.

Like this post
Spock999

Likes # 0

No response as yet! I have been scouring the internet looking for a solution without much success. What I have discovered so far follows.

The 2710n router is renowned for reserving about 20-25% of bandwidth as part of the "switched off" QofS feature. On the upload side that is quite significant especially for Skype. I have not seen anything that stands out as a clear solution to this issue.

There is also some talk about using telnet commands to switch off the "switched off" QofS feature and increase rxpct & txpct from the auto setting to 100%. I have tried that and the improvement is marginal - at least using the broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk testing tool (315-320 Kbps up to 340-345Kbps for uploading). I haven't yet been able to test out skype after the change.

The other issue is firmware. Mine is as follows (copied directly from the router status page:

Model Name : Vigor2710n Firmware Version : 3.3.6_232201 Build Date/Time : Oct 27 2010 17:03:51 ADSL Firmware Version : 232201_A Hardware: Annex A

I have found a new release as follows:

Firmware Version : 3.3.6.1 (Release) Release Date : 14th April 2011 Build Date : 22nd March 2011 Applicable Models : Vigor2710, Vigor2710n, Vigor2710Vn, Vigor2710VDn Locale : UK Only / Annex A Only.

I am not sure whether it is worth upgrading or not. I wonder if anyone out there has done so and what their experience is?

Thanks.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'This is true with my Windows 7 main computer (which has never worked with Skype as it is brabnd new)'

What do you mean? I have a 'brand new' W7 PC which works well with Skype. I've never heard of your router make, but I've had no probs with Netgear, Thompson, BT Linksys etc.

Like this post
Spock999

Likes # 0

It is literally true. Too many things going wrong in a short time! My main computer failed. By the time the new windows 7 PC was bought, up & running, the old router was playing up and I never had a chance to try it out on Skype with the old router.

I have no doubts that it will work with Skype when the other issues are sorted out

Like this post
ashleycardwell94

Likes # 0

made sure upnp is enabled on the router for automatic port forwarding.

Like this post
waqasgk

Likes # 0

if your internet is working well but Skype connection will not stay up, mostly this is because of some s/w installed or running on your computer using same ports as skype. e.g Wampserver and skype by default used same logical ports. check this.. may be your problem is due to this . thanks

gns3

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more