We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

internet greenhorn

IANBHOY7

Likes # 0

Hi evry1. am new 2 the site, and am not very good with computers. I bought a second hand laptop, which was formatted and xp installed fresh. when I try to connect to internet, although laptop recognises my wireless signal, it wont connect to net. message from ms says problem may be settings need to be changed. Ive checked with broadband provider, and problem is defo with laptop. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ian Docherty
Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Don't know much about laptops but I do know that the wireless has to be switched on.

Some it is just a switch others you have to press Fn and F1 or f2 to switch the wireless on.

No doubt you have already done that but thought that I would mention it.

Or maybe try Control Panel.Administation tools.Services.And scroll down to WLAN and make sure it is set to Automatic.

Thats about all I know about laptops but if you let us know the make and model number others may be able to give you the help that you need.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes its settings in the Laptop, These you have to get from your Router Setup page as you are using it Wireless, But you need first to Connect with Ethernet Cable to the Router to do this. then start IE and type the Router address into the IE address Bar. it may work by typing 192.168.1.1 then press enter key, if it does it will bring a page up that needs a password it may be if its not been altered admin in lower case letters. You then turn Wireless on and create a SSID and Password and write these down as you will need them to input them into your Laptop Network Settings, Save settings in the router before you close ithe page also for Wireless Encryption Use WPA/PSK not WEP

Like this post
IANBHOY7

Likes # 0

hi buteman. tried ur suggestions, still no joy. thanx anyway. laptop is

HP Compaq 6710b

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

This should help link text

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Also read through this to set up a NEW Wireless connection link text

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers