We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Laptop,...Extra level of secuurity required whilst abroad pls!!!

julius44

Likes # 0

Hello and good afternnon, to u all. I have just recently purchased a brand new laptop from Argos, its the samsung RV510. In a few weeks time, i'll be travelling to Nigera with this laptop, and I'm loading basice freeware software on it, ect. I'll be using it online whilst thee, to stay in contact whith friends and family, etc, and I may also consider selling it if the price is right, lol. But my question, dileema is this.....incase something happens for instance it gets stolen, is there ANY freeware software that I can install on this laptop that will make it totally unusable please?? I know that this may be a bit extreme, but the laptop costs me good money, even though its on sale price(£330). I'm looking for something that will totally block anyone else from using it unless its in my possesion please. It must be free and easy to intall, and not use to much memory, even though the laptop comes with 3GB ram.

Many thanks Jules

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You can never stop them, as they can steel it then fit a new hard drive and OS and they are away. first line of defence is keep it in a Safe Place

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"I'm looking for something that will totally block anyone else from using it unless its in my possesion please"

One thing you can do is to set a password in the BIOS section. Everytime the laptop's switched on the correct password will need to be entered before it boots into Windows. That mechanism is independent of the hard drive or operating system. However, it's not infallible but will likely defeat the average thief.

If you're interested then the laptop's user manual will tell you how to assign a password in the BIOS.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Setting BIOS Password link text

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

And as its a Laptop, if you lose it you will need to strip the laptop to get it going again as you have to remove the CMOS battery to clear the Password

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

But do remember that when they steel the Laptop the password goes with it

Like this post
ACOLYTE

Likes # 0

Maybe somthing on this page would help link text

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

On most laptops if the BIOS password is lost or forgotten then you will need someone to solder in a new CMOS chip as the password cannot be cleared by clearing BIOS or removing Cmos battery.

Like this post
ACOLYTE

Likes # 0

If you have win7 as an OS you could try the Bitlocker security it has built in,i have read mixed reviews about it tho,so not sure how good it would be,im also not sure if it locks the entire machine or just the data.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"If you have win7 as an OS you could try the Bitlocker security it has built in,...............im also not sure if it locks the entire machine or just the data."

BitLocker encrypts the entire drive and is a great security feature. Unfortunately it's only available in the Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise editions :(

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

He said its is Laptop he is bothered about, and no software is going to stop someone stealing it

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......