We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Firefox a bit Slow to open pages.

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

I downloaded Avast Internet security about 4 days ago so not sure if that is the problem or not.

I am finding Firefox a bit slower than usual opening pages.

Anyone else having the same problems as Firefox is usually very quick.

Just thinking about removing it and reinstalling it to see if it makes any difference but thought that I would ask first to see if anyone else had the same problem with Firefox.

The problem has been ongoing for at least the last 4 days but maybe longer.

Also just had problems trying to post this so did a copy to be in the safe side.

Like this post
ACOLYTE

Likes # 0

Using FF v5 here with avast,no problems with speed of pages.But i dont have the internet security part just the free av,it may well be this that is slowing down the sites as it checks them before opening.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

ACOLYTE

I was thinking that myself but I/E9 is working Ok and sometimes you can't post on PCA without refreshing the page.

I don't think it is anything to do with PCA as it is the same on other web pages.

I tried it with the add-ons switched off so not that.

it is just annoying when you know it is not working as good as it should and you cannot find out why.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Buteman - no problems with speed opening/paging etc. Firefox 5. You may have a conflict if you think it has just happened since installing Avast but it may just be coincidental.

I am not familiar with Avast but does in run in "Real time Mode" and if so can you disable that to see if that's the cause ?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Just had a look at the features of Avast Internet Security - it appears it can/does scan in "real time" so as above see if possible disable that feature and then you should see a difference - if that is the cause.

Like this post
ACOLYTE

Likes # 0

I think disabling the real time feature would defeat the purpose of what the program is intended to do,depends what you want more security or faster surfing.

Like this post
orsta

Likes # 0

Is there an "Add On" causing the problem?

Have you tried running a new clean profile?

c

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

ACOLYTE - I agree with your comments. I was making the suggestion to see if there would be any difference - I meant as a temporary measure although I forgot to say that - in view of the fact of the mentioned "4 days ago" by Buteman which seemed to coincide with the install of Avast. The problem he is having may have nothing to do with this - just a process of elimination. I was awaiting his reply.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Are You close enough to hard wire to modem. Thats if you are wireless now. I often find its the wireless signal that lets me down.

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

I am using the FF/Avast combination with no problems.

You may like to :

try Speedyfox link text

to tidy up your FF profile.

or you could also try the FF add-on Tweak Network Settings link text

which is really just an easy way around the normal manual tweaks to Firefox's settings for connections per server/pipelining etc.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I have reinstalled it but have not had time to check it out properly.

If no difference I will try some the remedies provided.

Thanks for all of the information just got back home so sorry I could not reply earlier.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad