We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

17" laptop suggestions for £500 or thereabouts

compumac

Likes # 0

I have just purchased a Samsung NP RV711 laptop for my daughter and am so far quite impressed with it. We only use our PC's for generally web browsing and word processing along with spreadsheets, but two of my desktops are used with Photoshop CS3 for photo editing. Any recommendations for any other 17" laptop upto perhaps the £500 area?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

This Toshiba Click Here from Amazon would be my choice.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Samsung R730 Click here A tad over £500 but you may find it cheaper elsewhere but make sure its the same spec other R730 come with smaller processors etc.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I would go with the Samsung (as per Ex plorer) For the extra cash you get double the HDD space.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Having looked around at a few sites for prices I would say that the Samsung one already suggested would be your Best Buy. Comparing it to R730 on sale at Argos at £499.99 - the Argos one Spec. is different - only 3GB RAM - 500GB HDD and although it has Windows 7 Home Premium it doesn't specify 64 bit as it does on the BT site. £514.80 for that Spec. and FREE delivery - just go for it !!

Argos details link text

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Same price from Amazon (only query is it 64bit?) link text

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

As I said I have the Samsung NP-RV711 which I am given to understand is the updated version of R730 (as suggested) and is also 64bit.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I should have added that the RV711 has 500GB as opposed to the R730 of 600GB and is £462 on Amazon. 500Gb is plenty for me as I have a number of external hard drives that could be conected if so required(backup images etc)

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Thinking about it again, I wonder as to what I might get for £500 for a desktop base (no monitor)?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

This one is spot on £500 inc. VAT and comes with 21.5in monitor. Good Spec!link text

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I am having a rethink on this. Any thoughts on the differences between the Samsung RC710 and the R780?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...