We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Extract files from an Acronis image?

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Resolved

Likes # 0

Is there anyway just to extract some files from an Acronis image rather than restore the whole image to disk

OE has just glitched and wiped all my emails and some I would like back

Can restore back to last Fridays image but really only need some emails.

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

You can mount the image just by double clicking on it so if you know where the emails are stored you should be able to extract the folders.

Like this post  
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I am only going on what I have gathered. I don't use Acronis.

But aren't they .VHD files? or can be converted and made so?

Then mount them in Windows Disk Management.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Thanks guys

Never been able to copy files from an image before but it appears to be working - copying over all the dbx files to a mem stick and will tick resolved if I can copy back to OE from the stick and access the e-mails.

if it doesn't work I will do a full restore of the image.

Thanks again

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Worked ok got all the emails back up to last Friday, rest I get resent

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Good to hear.

Just reading an article in this weeks Micromart, and the author sheepishly admits that, while writing it, he messed up and almost lost an entire drive.

He scrabbled back too though.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I use Windows Explorer to mount unmount the Image. It only works if you load the program from Acronis CD as it loads a Driver to do the above. It gives it a Drive letter

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

You can mount an image by opening the Acronis GUI and choosing "mount image" under the operations menu.

If you wish to extract information from the mounted image you must mount it in read/write mode.

The mounted image will then appear in Windows Explorer with its own drive letter.

For some reason I have never been able to accomplish the above operations by using the "mount image" function within the Windows Explorer right click context menu although the mounted image can always be successfully unmounted by using the "unmount" function within the same right click context menu.

I have never had to resort to using the Acronis CD to mount an image.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Double clicking the image fie then a search through just like exploring my C: drive to find the dbx files.

I have done this before but never been able to copy the files however this time a right click and copy worked OK but very slow to my mem stick - much faster to my other hard drive.

Replaced the files in OE and now everything back to where I was last Friday without having to restore the whole image :0)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers